Saturday, March 07, 2015

She hit me

I came home last night and didn't allow my mother to see my face, lest she see the mild reddening in my cheeks due to the effect of being hit by a girl in office. But I couldn't hide it for a long time and she caught me at the dinner table.

Mother: What happened to your right cheek? Why is it reddened? Did someone hit you?
She was clearly getting too excited and tensed, so I didn't want to prolong the discussion.
Me: Yes, someone did hit me.

She got agitated and asked who it was. I had to tell her that it was a girl. Needless to say my mother got more intrigued and asked who that girl was? I had to tell her that it was a girl in my team who had hit me. I then showed her my left cheek and admitted that she hit me there as well.

My mother was now almost livid. Her emotions ranged from feeling sorry for her son being hit, angry that someone had actually hit him and worried as to what her son would have done to a girl for her to hit him. She asked me if I had teased that girl.

I told her the fact that I hadn't teased her at any stage and such thoughts never enter my mind.
Mother: Then why did she hit you? I can clearly see finger lines on your face.

I told her that she actually asked for my permission before hitting me. Seeing the lines of confusion in my mother’s face, I clarified further that she even hit my friend after taking his permission.

Now my mother was basically flummoxed. She was getting clueless about what I was telling her. Then I decided that it was time I told her the full truth.

Me: Amma, it is Holi today and we had a celebration in the campus. The only North Indian girl in my team took our permission to colour and she used the pink powder to hit our face with it.


My mother laughed out loud at herself, for getting so hyped up over this silly event and the sillier narration. 

No comments: