Saturday, September 09, 2006

The concept of a family god - kula dheiyvam

So how do you decide who is your kula dheiyvam? Most of us are just informed that 'xyz' deity in 'abc' town is our kula dheiyvam. Have you ever asked why?

The version I keep hearing is that the deity at a temple where your forefathers lived is given the honor of being your kula dheiyvam. Fair enough.

But then, if you drill deep, you will find that it is not possible to trace beyond 5 or 6 generations before you. At least I have not been able to cross beyond the 3rd level in my family tree.

Even if you go 6 levels upwards and find out that the person in contention did indeed live in the same place as your kula dheiyvam temple, do you have any proof that he actually had that very same deity as his kula dheiyvam? Meaning, did he also inherit his kula dheiyvam from many generations before him?

What if he or one of his earlier generations were actually settlers in this place? Then this deity is only assumed to be your kula dheiyvam and the actual one is now known only to 12 generations before you.

And I cant stop there too. Even the 12th generation before you, was not really the start point of staying put in the same town. They too migrated from some other parts of the country.

So, if you dig deeper and deeper, I am not sure where to stop. The earliest man seems to have originated in the African continent and so I assume the deity he worshiped is really my kula dheiyvam.

But then, I don't think the concept of religion came up at that time. That leaves me with the option of going to the Mohenjadaro-Harapaa civilization as my start point.

And even religiously speaking, since I am descendant of Rishi Kountinya, I assume that the place where he lived should technically have my kula dheiyvam.

Considering all this, I am somehow not willing to accept the theory that my kula dheiyvam is in Pattamadai!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You don't have to investigate your Cro Magnon forefathers of the Upper Paleolithic era, to trace the origin of Kula Deivam. If you do that, the real Kula Deivam would boil down to the first worshipful bubble that burst on the primordial soup. All you need to do is investigate who were involved in the building of your Kula Deivam temple, in whichever era it was built. One of the blokes that were involved is bound to have spewn the chromosomes of your family. Well, this bloke would have got dissatisfied with the Kula Deivam of his parents and would have got together able-bodied lads and built the temple. That's the logic of Kula Deivam.

Jawaman said...

So someone at some point decided to change the kula dheiyvam. Since I am not inclined towards building a temple, why not let me choose a temple of my choice and annoint the presiding deity therein as my kula dheiyvam?

Unknown said...

Like they say in english, "Lage raho". Feel free to choose any temple as your Kula Deivam. But after doing so, battle arduously to create Kulam, by lynching one numbers bonnie lass and reproducing like mice.