Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Status check needed on my sixth sense.....

Finally I opened my account today - the account of sleeping in the office bus.

For some reason, I slept early last night itself. Had a good sleep as well. Day in the office was quite normal. The only difference was that I resumed my Tuesday fasting, so mebbe a bit low on energy.

Anyways, while returning, I spent a good part of the journey reading Business India. When we crossed Pallavaram, I kinda started getting sleepy. And by the time the bus was near the Airport, I let my eyelids take control. But I was very sure that I was listening to the sounds of traffic.

You see, sometimes I do close my eyes on the return trip, but don't actually sleep. And I am well aware of where I am and whenever I open my eyes, I am usually right on target.

So today too, I thought I was listening to traffic with my eyes closed. Then I felt the bus come to a halt and just opened my eyes. I was on the right side of the bus and so saw the other side of the road.

I could see the outline of a flyover in my peripheral vision and a petrol bunk right where I was
looking. Since I assumed I didn't sleep, I further assumed that I was only near the Guindy flyover.

But something about the whole picture, didn't match the image in my hard disk. Then I realised. I noticed a building next to this petrol bunk and it said 'Adyar Bakery'. Another neon sign above it said 'Shakes and Cream'.

Only then my brain started issuing commands to various parts of my body to get alert, scan the
environment some more and it made the decision that I was indeed in Adyar and the bus had halted in my regular stop.

Luckily, all this processing was not happening on the PIII 866MHz computer I have at home (Seriously... thats my computer's config). It was only my brain and even years of caffeine abuse has not really caused much deterioration. I was able to get out of my seat in time and didn't have to hold back the bus or anything.

So the question now is: Was this incident a warning to me - warning that my sixth sense is fading. Because I couldn't distinguish between a dream and the real world - like Matrix. Or is it in perfect shape, because I woke up just when the bus came to a halt at my usual stop?

Point to ponder and lose sleep over.

No comments: