Sunday, August 29, 2021

You are as old as you look

 Thursday, the 19th of August 2021, was a clear (possibly yet another) reminder that I have started looking my age; Or may be even older. Let me share the details of why I came to this conclusion. It involved two separate incidents in the space of 30 minutes. 

On the said date, I had to visit Giri Traders at Tiruvanmiyur, to purchase the Avani Avittam set for the event that was coming up the following Sunday. As usual, parking was an issue and I had to part in front of Marundeeswarar temple. Having parked in front of his gate, I couldn’t not visit the temple. After a quick Hi to Mr. Thyagarajar and Mrs. Tirupurasundari, I walked towards the aforementioned shop for my purchase and en route, this quaint little place called “House of Annapoorna” beckoned me. 

Of course, not literally, because that would have warranted some severe movement of the ancient buildings, but it was an invitation nevertheless. I had noticed this place for a year or so, but was always wary about checking it out. But not that day. I was quite famished and in desperate need of a caffeine boost and lo behold, I walked in. 

The place is an old Agraharam house, that has been partially remodelled to suit the needs of a restaurant. It has very good ambience and the pricing is quite low. Service is decent and food is tasty too. Now that the Google review is done, let us come to the incident. 

The waiter served me Mysore Bonda, per my request and then went about his business of working other tables. After the Bonda found its rightful place in my digestive tract, I requested the waiter for coffee. This is when the first age related alert came in. 

Like I said, I asked him for coffee and told him that I wanted it a little strong. He then looked at me and asked, “Sugar podalama sir” (Can sugar be added to coffee). This is usually a query reserved for the aged folks who order coffee in a restaurant and it was the first time, to my recollection at least, that someone asked me that question. I could hear shattering glass window panes due to sudden strong winds that also brought in clouds, just like how diabetes always comes up suddenly and brings along cholesterol, BP and what not. Maybe that comparison alone makes it clear that I am old. 

With tears swelling up in my eyes, I controlled the lump forming in my throat and told him to put normal quantity. 

After this shattering experience, I walked to Giri Traders and went to the section where the Avani Avittam set was sold. Just as I was catching my breath (100 metres walk after Mysore Bonda and coffee, followed by 1 flight of stairs ok) and scanning the shelf for what I needed, the sales lady came by and asked what I wanted. 

I told her that I need Avani Avittam set and she asked me if I was smart or if I was Iyengar? I wondered why she thinks that Iyengars cannot be smart, though I do know 1 or 2 Iyengars who would fit that train of thought. I wanted to ask her if she also knew the same people and if not, why she came to such a conclusion. And all this while I was also looking at the shelf and saw that there were 2 sets and they had the label “Avani Avittam Smartha set” and “Avani Avittam Iyengar set”. 

Meanwhile, since I hadn’t responded to her query, she looked at my face and then realized that I was wearing vibuthi and kungumam from my visit to the Shivan temple. 

She then took up one packet from the “Avani Avittam Smartha set” and gave it to me. The label on the packet also said “Grihastha” and not “Brahmachari”. Usually, when I make this purchase, the sales people at least ask cursorily if I wanted Grihastha set or Brahmachari set. But not that day. The lady directly handed over the Grihastha set. Once again, the same set of shattering glass panes, strong winds, gloomy skies all came up. But by then, I was resigned to the reality that I had started looking my age and probably even older. 

So next time anybody sees me and says “Nee innum maarave illa” (you haven’t changed), there are only 2 conclusions – one they are lying or two, I was always looking old. 

No comments: